Years ago when my grandpa passed away, we didn't have any bedroom furniture so, we were blessed to be able to inherit this beautiful, old Spanish style set. A couple of years ago and several sleepless night we finally decided to replace our mattresses. One thing led to another and we ended up with a whole new bedroom suite. Hind sight we should have stuck with replacing JUST the mattress. We loved the furniture, but didn't have room for a king size bed and we wanted two nightstands. So, instead of just getting a mattress and continue to go without a headboard - we found a deal on a set.
As I was getting her all shined up and ready - pulling out the Murphy's Oil soup - I got to remembering all the times I would dust this very furniture. I would carefully remove everything off the dresser and armoire, my grandma kept a mirror on top full of perfume bottles, her jewelry box, and pictures. She would give me a rag and tell me I was perfect for the job because my hands were little and could get all the nooks and cracks just right. It made me feel so special to be able to do this for her. I remember the furniture looking so ominous to little old me. Sticking to the job at hand wanting my grandma to be so proud of me - after all the reward was getting to spend the night with her in her nice clean bed!! A much better place than the lonely bedroom at the far end of the hallway. Actually, her happy, proud of me and her smile was reward enough...
After a week of freezing temps and cloudy days, when they came to pick up the furniture wouldn't you know it - it was warm and sunny. I'd like to think it was my grandparents - smiling, proud and happy...The new home... a single mom with nothing but a donated king size mattress waiting for a headboard!! I know she is going to love the furniture. I bet her kids will create many new memories with it and they will have lots of room to sleep with mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment